Welcome to St. Vincent & the Grenadines Customs & Excise Department Website

Duty free concession for returning nationals

Who Qualifies

Vincentians who have lived abroad for at least ten (10) years and have returned to take up permanent residence in St. Vincent & the Grenadines.

What can be imported?

Personal or household effects (whether new or used) and one (1) Motor Vehicle excluding trucks. The goods may be purchased abroad and shipped here or may be bought locally from a supplier in St. Vincent & the Grenadines who operates a private (tax-free) warehouse.

What is the Concession?

For motor vehicles; qualifying persons pay only 25% of the normal Import Duty, Excise Tax, and VAT. The Customs Service Charge (currently 6%) is payable in full. If the vehicle is more than four (4) years old, a vehicle surcharge is also payable in full. Household items and personal effects can be brought in completely free of all taxes, but some conditions apply (see below).

What are the Conditions?

The conditions applied are as follows:-

  • Applicants must be able to demonstrate that they resided abroad for at least ten (10) years. You may be required to show proof of this. Documents relating to your time abroad will support your claim (e.g., Pay slips, Records of School, College or University attendance, Bank Statements, Employment Records, Visas, Work Permits, Residence Permits, Pension Letter, etc.).

  • Applicants must be able to demonstrate that they intend to make a permanent home in St. Vincent & the Grenadines. You may be required to show evidence of this with documents such as House Purchase Contracts, Mortgage Agreements, Land Titles and Planning Permission for house construction, documents showing the setting up of a business or employment contracts will help your claim.

  • Each household is permitted to import only one (1) motor vehicle under the concession.

  • The vehicle must be owned by the applicant and registered in their name.

  • The items must be for your own use and kept by you. None of the items must be sold, traded, bartered, given away, or disposed of in any way to any other person for a period of 4 years. Permission must be granted by the Comptroller of Customs & Excise Department before any goods (including a vehicle) may be disposed of within the 4-year period, and all normal taxes must be paid. Failure to do so is a serious offence and may incur fines, imprisonment and seizure of goods.

  • Only one set or item of a particular type of household goods and personal effects that you would reasonably need to equip your home may be brought in under the concession {e.g. you may bring in one (1) television set, one (1) microwave, one (1) DVD player etc.} Additional items may be charged at the full rate of duty.


Any greater quantity of any such articles shall be deemed to be cargo and be reported and treated as such.

How do I apply?

Applications should be made in writing on the attached form to the Comptroller of Customs & Excise at the following address:-

Comptroller of Customs & Excise
Customs House
Upper Bay Street Kingstown
St. Vincent & the Grenadines
Telephone number: 1784-457-2711 or 1784- 457-2421

What happens then?

You may be called to attend an interview and be required to bring with you documents that will support your case. Your application will then be considered by the Comptroller and you will be informed of his decision.

WARNING! There are severe penalties (including fines, imprisonment and seizures of goods) for making false declarations to the Customs.


File Name
Returning Nationals Application Download

Contact Us

Upper Bay Street, Kingstown


784-457-2421 / 457-2711

Copyright © 2024  - Customs & Excise Department.